permaculture - [permaculture] Ash Tree Guilds?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Morguena@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Ash Tree Guilds?
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:22:02 EDT

Hello All,

I am planning to create guilds around the two beautiful mature ash trees in
the center of the yard. Right now, they're circled by a variety of herbs
and have hops (which aren't particularly flourishing climbing around and
over
some funky garden 'decor' of old cut birch trees.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that you can give. The trees are about 60
years old, sited on a 1/12 south/west facing slope. We are generally zone
five, although the southmost ash micro climate is zone 6 I am also working
on
crop extension for the annuals we feed ourselves with, and since the ashes
so
thoughfully foliate in May and shed in September, I think theres potential
for extended season crops around them. Ideas? Experiences? Suggestions?

Thanks so much,

Rebecca

Reconstructing Eden
Sustainable Suburban Agriculture
Andover MA

  • [permaculture] Ash Tree Guilds?, Morguena, 06/09/2005