permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Upcoming Fermentation Workshops]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: "ibib >> Permaculture ibiblio" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Upcoming Fermentation Workshops]
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 23:05:18 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Upcoming Fermentation Workshops
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:00:04 -0500
From: Sandor Katz <sandorkraut@heartoftn.net>
To: sandorkraut@wildfermentation.com

hello friends,

it's high spring in tennessee. every day the forest canopy fills in more, and we have lots of beautiful baby goats prancing about. soon it will be time for me to hit the road again spreading fermentation fervor. the coming months will bring me to north carolina, tennessee, new york, pennsylvania, ohio, michigan, and virginia (dates and contact info below). please come check out my workshops, or forward this to people you know who might be interested.

i'm trying to spend most of my time at home working on my new book. it's (tentatively) called underground food: culinary resistance and revolution in many different flavors. it's been inspired largely by people i have met -- food activists -- over the past few years as i have traveled around talking to people about fermentation.

a lot of what i am writing about is how the small-scale local trade of unadulterated foods has been made illegal, and examples of communities where people are organizing underground markets to exchange local foods, in some cases perfectly legal, in others technically illegal by virtue of laws which favor mass production. i'm looking for examples of this small-scale unauthorized free trade of local foods. please email me with your related stories and experiences. thanks!

if you would rather not receive my periodic mailings, let me know and i will remove your name from the list.

i hope you're having a great spring!

sandor

Upcoming Fermentation Workshops with Sandor Katz

May 21 & 22 (Saturday & Sunday), Chapel Hill, NC. Intensive two day Foraging and Fermentation Workshop with Frank Cook. Email claudia_scorpio@hotmail.com for details.

June 6 & 7 (Monday & Tuesday), New York, NY, Natural Gourmet Institute, "Fundamentals of Fermenting Food," a hands-on fermentation experience in which we will ferment sauerkraut, kimchi, tempeh, miso, injera, idli, mead, and kefir. For more information or registration call 212-645-5170 or visit www.naturalgourmetschool.com.

June 11 (Saturday), New York City, Union Square Farmers' Market, 11:00AM-2:00PM, Demo, tasting, and talk.

June 15 (Wednesday), Pennsylvania, PASA, Dickson College, Carlisle, PA, 10:00AM-5:00PM. For info call 814-349-9856 or visit www.pasafarming.org.

June 23-26 (Thursday-Sunday), Whitwell, TN, Food For Life, Sequatchie Valley Institute, 423-949-5922 www.svioneline.org.

July 25 (Monday), Toledo, Ohio, Toledo Botanical Garden, details to come. For info contact mszuberla@yahoo.com.

July 26 (Tuesday), Ann Arbor, MI, People's Food Coop, details to come. For info contact lauram@peoplesfood.coop.

July 27 (Wednesday), Detroit, Michigan, Earthworks, 6-8 pm. For info visit www.earth-works.org or email mpatrickcrouch@yahoo.com.

October 14-16 (Friday-Sunday): Red Boiling Springs, TN, Biodynamic Conference at Long Hungry Creek Farm, 615-699-2493, www.barefootfarmer.com.

November 11 (Friday): Chantilly, VA, Weston A. Price Foundation Conference, 1:30-3:00 PM, Workshop on Fermented Condiments, www.westonaprice.org.

and then, far in the future, a 5-day intensive:
June 11-16, 2006 (Sunday-Friday): Brasstown, NC, John C. Campbell Folk School, Fermentation Immersion: Five Days of Hands-on Live-Culture Experience, 1-800-FOLK-SCH, www.folkschool.org.

Sandor Ellix Katz aka sandorkraut
Author of Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
Published by Chelsea Green Publishing Co. www.chelseagreen.com
Check out my website at www.wildfermentation.com

--
Keith Johnson