permaculture - [permaculture] Rock dust sources Lawrence used in NC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Johnny Gregory" <johnnyg8@bellsouth.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Rock dust sources Lawrence used in NC
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 11:21:46 -0400

Lawrence,

Where is the quarry you used here in NC and what type of rock do they offer? Didi you use "fines"?

Thanks,

Your neighbor in Greensboro,

Johnny Gregory

3. Re: Rock Dust (Lawrence F. London, Jr.)
Message: 3
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 14:54:50 -0500
From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rock Dust
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>

Eugene F. Monaco wrote:

I've never used rock dust but have a question from a skeptical perspective.
I don't doubt that it can be good in the short term much the same as
fertilizer can be good in the short term, but does it go beyond there? My

Q: Where does SOIL come from?
A: Rocks
..... which are broken down by mechanical action (quarry rock
crusher, NYC rats, glacial action, rockslides),
ocean or lake waves, rivers, weathering above and below ground,
fracturing and grnulation by cold weather freeze-thaw cycles,
dissolved by low pH water or organic matter, maybe fungi also

Rock quarry pond fines usually are made of of a fin aggregate most of
which consists of extremely fine particles that cannot be seen with
the naked eye, a fine powdery silt often the consistency of talcum
powder. This is the best material to use to tilth and remineralize your
garden or farm soil. Use it by the hundreds of tons.

Microorganisims
will mine the micronutrients in it for their own use and ultimately
deliver them to plants. The quickest way to improve the flavor of your
food crops is by adding large amounts of quarry rock dust
to your growing beds or rows. Using limited amounts of rock and
colloidal phosphate, New Jersey Greensand, azomite, aragonite,
high calcium limestone is also very worthwhile.

LL