permaculture - [permaculture] need P and K glutton

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] need P and K glutton
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:34:17 -0800 (PST)

I've been doing experimentatl plots for the last several years trying to get
all sorts of
legumes to grow without success. My N is near zero and my P and K are quite
high. Boron
is low, but I think I've corrected this.

I'll plant things that just sit there and not grow. Annuals and perennials
from seed
will get their first true leaves and then grow no larger.

I just finished my PDC, so I guess I'm officially a permie. During the
class, Rick
Valley presented on bamboo. He showed a slide where he had planted a variety
of things
including bamboo. He said that nothing seemed to grow at this particular
site, so he
tested the soil and found toxic levels of P. So he planted alders which are
P gluttons.
And presto! Everything took off!

So my question is, what else might I try besides alder? Locusts? Siberian
pea shrub?
Just keep trying all legumes until things start to grow?

The only legume that has worked so far is field peas planted in the spring.
So I'll be
doing a lot of that this year. But would like something a little more
perennial.

Suggestions?