permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [Market Farming] new venture]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, growingsmallfarms@lists.ncsu.edu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [Market Farming] new venture]
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:04:08 -0800

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Market Farming] new venture
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:50:10 -0800
From: Lawrence F. London, Jr. <lfl@intrex.net>

Allan Balliett wrote:
You have to bottom plow the winter before you do any subsoiling and tilling.
This is a must. If you have most any type of clay, plowwing in winter will allow
time for it to freeze and break up before Spring. This is way better "rototilling" than
with mechanical means.

1st off - by winter before, do you mean 'fall' before?

In the late Fall _when soil moisture is exactly right_ and _in close
proximity to
freezing weather. You don't want to plow then have the sun bake the freshly
plowed exposed
soil into hard clods or hardpan.

Or do you mean winter?

Can be very late Fall or early winter or even later as long as you have
adequate days
of freezing weather to recondition the soil by "freezing it out".

For example, in BD, some of the older books recommend plowing in February to reduce weed germination.

In sandy soil maybe but never in clay or clay loam soil, _ever_;
would be too late for freezing out and you would end up with very hard
unworkable
soil to garden with that year. You'd have to start all over with plowing in
the following Fall-early Winter.

I do not go into the fields when the soil is wet. For this reason, winter plowing in this area is quite difficult (too much rain/too much snow)

Plow when the soil is very low in moisture and in late Fall or early Winter
very close to
days with freezing temperatures.

I have subsoiled in old pastures very readily without plowing first. I subsoiled because I had no desire to invert the top layer, especially in this area where a 8 inch divit will generally give you 2 inches of RED CLAY.

Plowing is something you want to do infrequently but it is absolutely
necessary
to recondition soil and put it in shape where subsoiling and tillage tooling
(and rototilling and hilling/bedding) is best accomplished.
You have to invert the top layers in order to do this so you want to do it
right the
first time and hopefully not have to plow again.

I'm interested in hearing what your experience is. -Allan

Which is (see an earlier lengthy post to sanet from me about this):

See the piles of manure/compost and rock dust in background of the pix of the
Howard
Rotavator, http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/farmpix/HR.jpg?
I apply this material in 50" strips in rows in my gardens; this is where the
raised beds will be. The soil in this area has already been plowed the Winter
before.
The materials (rock phosphate, greensand, manure, compost and extremely fine
rock dust)
are spread in wide rows with a skid loader. Then these rows are tilled with a
tillage tool
(spring tooth harrow/cultivator) and could be subsoiled then also. The Howard
Rotavator is
then used to thoroughly rototill soil, manure, compost and rock dusts
together. Then the
rows are gone over several passes with disk bedders or hilling discs to make
giant wide tall raised beds
with deep ditches along their sides. A properly prepared and fertilized bed
of this sort could then
go a hundred years without further attention other than hand tilthing. This
is real notill gardening.
Bite the bullet the first time and use the right implements to best advantage
to prepare and amend the
soil and shape the beds then grow crops in them for 100 years without further
tillage. Add compost,
phosphate, manure as needed to the surface and tilth it in with a fork. Smith
and Hawken once sold
an Alan Chadwick tilthing fork; I have one of these (its like a digging fork
the size of a border fork).

Onward.

LL
--