permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Really rapid growing ground cover and soil binding trees that prevent subsidence

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Really rapid growing ground cover and soil binding trees that prevent subsidence
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:40:55 +0000

Hi Andrew,
much depends on where on the globe you are.
Here in Europe Salix (willow) species are often used for 'ecological
engineering' applications such as bank stabilisation. It is easily and
cheaply propagated from cuttings during dormancy, makes a dense root
network, and grows rapidly. It is (in Europe) a native species and
naturally occurs along river banks, amongst other habitats.
Try this link:
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Salix&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=bank+stabilisation&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

HTH
Ute