permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Cultivating saline land

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Deborah" <dtv13@verizon.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Cultivating saline land
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:28:51 -0600

On binding-up salt in the soil
http://www.abc.net.au/northcoast/stories/s727970.htm<http://www.abc.net.au/northcoast/stories/s727970.htm>
----- Original Message -----
From: Meg Mullett<mailto:meg@kcnet.com>
To: permaculture<mailto:permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 11:12 AM
Subject: [permaculture] Re: Cultivating saline land

>Amrita wrote:
>Can anybody throw some light on what really are the options for these
>farmers? What are the saline lovig commercial crops that could sustain
them in
>the meantime?

Hi Amrita,

First let me say that I am definately no expert on saline soils. I'm
just interested and have read a bit about it.

First off, I think the answer to your question is going to vary alot
depending on the region, the location of its water table, annual
rainfall, and drainability of the soil.

Some crops that are considered "highly salt tolerant" - there really are
no "saline loving" plants - are tall wheatgrass, puccinellia, bermuda
grass, barley, saltwater couch, and salt bush. However, these plants
can generally only tolerant saline concentrations of 2500-5000 ppm. The
average saline concentration of seawater is around 35,000 ppm, over 7
times the tolerant level.

according to
http://www.cbmcc.vcn.com/saltsoil.htm<http://www.cbmcc.vcn.com/saltsoil.htm>
"
Saline soils cannot be reclaimed by any chemical amendment,
conditioner or fertilizer. Only leaching can remove salts from the
plant root zone. The amount of water necessary is related to the initial
salt level in the soil, the final salt level desired and the quality of
the irrigation water.