permaculture - Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: toby@patternliteracy.com
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:21:40 -0800 (PST)

> Marimike6@cs.com wrote:
Thus giant ground sloths,
>> uintatherium, sabertooth cats and horses departed the American scene nine
>> to eleven thousand years ago, when Folsom Man came with his refined
>> toolkit and pack-animal tactics for bringing down big game.

I saw an article recently (I don't remember where I saw it, and am out of
the country right now so can't check) showing that the big North American
megafauna, by latest evidence, were extinct 30-40,000 years ago, but
humans only arrived in large numbers (tho there's debate) in North America
about 18,000 years ago, so maybe we didn't kill them off.

Toby