permaculture - [permaculture] Question

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Saor Stetler <saor@ycbtal.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Question
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:49:57 -0800

I am considering substituting shredded office paper for straw in my chicken coop, which eventually gets added into the garden compost or mulch. Does anyone have any experience with this or any thoughts about it? Rodale's composting book describes shredded paper as a good carbon (brown) source in composting but does not get into much detail about different types (newspaper, magazine, white office paper). Most of my paper would be typical recycled white office copy paper. There is some mention by Rodale re heavy metals in the inks found on glossy prints but no discussion of chlorine or dioxin issues in other papers. Any thoughts or experiences with this? Thanks.