permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Potato farming?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Will Carey <cure@rtinet.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Potato farming?
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:05:06 -0800

on 12/29/04 7:34 AM, permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org at
permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> You may be familiar
> with the Willamette Valley dispute, where they opened up the region to
> potato
> farmers in order to justify building a dam. Then some years later they
> noticed
> that subspecies of salmon was dying as they weren't leaving enough water in
> the
> river at spawning time for them to keep their backs wet.

Michael Kramer...

Did you mean Klamath Valley? That sounds like problems they're having down
there. It's 150 miles south of here.... I live in the Willamette Valley
and am doing a paper on this issue of Farm & Salmon in the region. We don't
have any sort of potato industry here....and very few irrigation dams.

But if you know of something about this happening in the Willamette Valley,
I'd live to have a reference for my research....

Will

  • [permaculture] Re: Potato farming?, Will Carey, 12/29/2004