permaculture - [permaculture] food waste/ revised landscapes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dennis Argall <dennisargall@bigpond.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] food waste/ revised landscapes
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:53:17 +1100

These may be of interest, from ABC Australia (non-commercial national broadcaster)

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ss/stories/s1256017.htm

[quote]Tim Jones: Well, we’ve actually calculated back to look at the environmental effects of food loss in the United States, and again, if we simply cut the amount of food loss in this country in half, which as I said could be very easy to do, it’s not a big program, probably could be done for less than $200 million a year and you would save probably $50 billion in the economy. But the ramifications back to the environment would be you would cut pesticides, herbicides, fertilizer and soil depletion down by 10% alone, probably the biggest impact ever - the biggest positive impact - on the environment that you could think of. Can you imagine cutting all that back by 10%?
Robyn Williams: It’s amazing, you should call Washington.
Tim Jones: Ah, Washington has been called.
Robyn Williams: Any response?
Tim Jones: No response, zero response.
[end quote]

We coincidentally caught up with Agnes Varda's film, 'The Gleaners and I" http://www.detnews.com/2001/entertainment/0105/18/e03-225371.htm which is very relevant to that issue; more on waste, but also some of the history of traditional 'gleaning'. Catch it if you can!

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ss/stories/s1256016.htm

[quote]The plan is to set up demonstration sites in a number of locations [in Australia, may be a model of value] and to work towards developing the systems that can provide enterprise diversity based on native environments. The FATE team will bring the people together and help to facilitate the process - organising and running meetings, connecting with markets, researching species. The local participants will explore the possibilities and begin the difficult process of getting it to happen on the ground. Then we will all work together to keep it going. [end quote]

cheers

Dennis

  • [permaculture] food waste/ revised landscapes, Dennis Argall, 12/07/2004