permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Visit to a collective Horinca Distillery in Hoteni, Romania

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: dtv@mwt.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Visit to a collective Horinca Distillery in Hoteni, Romania
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:23:25 US/Central

Carrie:

It's one of the amazing anomolies here in Romania is that there is no
recycling anywhere
in any rural
area here, the waterways are piled with garbage & plastic, reminding me of
the way our
countryside in
rural Wisconsin looked in the early 60s when I was growing up. Yet plastic
liter bottles
are used by
everyone until they are literally dark & stained. In the markets many
different home made
products are
bottled in recycled plastic (we got some fermented borsht soup broth today),
people get
their drinking
water from naturally carbonated springs, wine, liquor etc.

The trick with wine of course is to make sure the cap is sealed tight & no
air gets
inside. Less of an
issue with something high alcohol like horinca.

mIEKAL

>So, the wine lasts ok in the plastic bottles? I thought that wine HAD to be
>in wooden vats or glass to keep?

>I'm so glad you shared about this,
>Carrie

>- As with the
>wine, the finished product is put in recycled 1 liter water bottles & stored
>in the pantry.

This message was sent using Midwest Tel Net Web Based Mail.
http://www.mwt.net/