permaculture - Re: [permaculture] self-sufficiency in NYC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Meg Mullett <meg@kcnet.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] self-sufficiency in NYC
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:41:25 -0500

How about worm composting or growing mushrooms? Neither require much
light, and both provide highly prized soil amendments that could be sold
or traded. For that matter, even just making compost is useful.

Most common houseplants do not require a great deal of light.

Most vegetables and fruit require full sun, however there are a few that
will at least tolerate shade. Fresh greens, chard, lettuce, kale jump
to mind.

Do you get any sunlight at all during the day? Do you have any sunny
windows? I know of one guy that's making his truck payment by growing
wheatgrass in his windows and selling it by the flat to health food
stores and spas.

Meg in KS

In the meantime, what
> food/useful things can be done in a 1200 square foot
> low light garden and still be a place for a family to
> live. I want pickle recipes, not pickle barrel
> opinions. The ideas have to be low key, as there is
> already a barrier over eating the family pets (fish,
> snails, rabbits, etc).
>
> Thank you in advance for your help without
> discouragement.
>

> -Sean.

  • Re: [permaculture] self-sufficiency in NYC, Meg Mullett, 10/24/2004