permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in Houston and Mexico

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: George Anna Clark <esac@laneta.apc.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in Houston and Mexico
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:07:14 -0600

Hi Shawn,

almost forgot to ask you for the article regarding teaching core modules... we've started giving permaculture courses through the local state university (biological sciences college). Brings prices down, but also run into a few problems... Easter break ran into teacher`s day and mother's day and I can't remember what else but it turned out to be a five week break. And there's the fact we haven't been paid five months afterwards... :)

By the way, the person (Alejandra Caballero) that gives the wonderful alternative construction courses in Mexico prices them a bit high to subsidize the elementary school that her mother started, totally free for children in their low-income neighborhood. She's the sole funder of the school, which includes permaculture as part of the curriculum, the classrooms are made of strawbale construction, they have urine-diverting dry toilets, etc etc. Some civil organizations do the same - advertising the expensive courses/services, but not the community work not charged.

There are also just skads of community-oriented local (and not so local) radio stations which are very open to environmental issues in general and love to hear "fresh" voices. Hope to get more serious about this in the future. Hard to explain some concepts without visual aids, but the idea is to just get the word out there...

thanks,
george anna