permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: preparing your soil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "GlobalCirclenet" <webmaster@globalcircle.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: preparing your soil
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:25:06 -0600

>It depends so much on your particular situation: soil type,
>climate, growing season, equipment, cropping system
>locally available amendments and organic fertilizers,
>your own soil fertility philosophy, and so forth.

Agree, and for compost application the general advice is, the more clay or
sand in your soil, the more compost is needed to loosen clay or retain
moisture in sandy soil. For specific minerals and nitrogen, soil tests
don't tell the whole story due to Ph differences, soil microbial activity,
and moisture content.

paul@largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net