permaculture - [permaculture] farms as nutrient exporters

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] farms as nutrient exporters
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:58:32 -0700 (PDT)

It seems to me the only way to make farms sustainable is to compost municipal
sewage and send it back to the farms that support the cities. Whether this
could be achieved without fossil fuels is the question. My understanding of
biodynamic farming is that there are no external inputs. Is this sustainable
over the long-term? Is it possible to use deep-rooted plants and nutrient
accumulators to create a nutrient steady-state in the agroecosystem? Or is
this just an unsustainable mining of the soil? Whatever the answers, we need
to move food around a lot less than we are right now and adding to the local
economy by growing food for others is better than shopping at Walmart.

Rain