permaculture - Re: [permaculture] was Emelia Hazelip Quote re entropy now Forest Gardening

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] was Emelia Hazelip Quote re entropy now Forest Gardening
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:03:36 -0700

On 9/22/04 3:03 PM, "Roxann Phillips" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com> wrote:

> So Toby, did he continue with the greens, only growing them under trees,
> letting the leaves return the fertility? If so, is there something else
> one would need to add, like lime, to make the soil suitable for the
> greens? Or did he switch to marketing something altogether different?

Jerome is on this list, I believe, so maybe he'll read this thread and
answer in more detail. Last I saw, he had a fair number of greens in the
sunny edges (and even in shady spots, too) and in a couple of annual beds.
But he's not selling the greens (read: exporting the soil's fertility), nor,
I think, much of the forest's products. He uses the produce for
self-reliance and to feed all the many students and interns he gets. He's
shifted his focus, and his Central Rocky Mountain Permaculture Institute is
an educational center and Pc demonstration site. Jerome also does design
consulting. Think of it as pioneer species (the salad greens) being
succeeded by a mature ecosystem (multiple products: education, consulting,
food forest, internships, inspiration for others), with more closed cycles.

Toby
www.patternliteracy.com