permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Hazelip's tillage method

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Will Carey <cure@rtinet.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Hazelip's tillage method
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:57:43 -0700

on 9/20/04 9:08 AM, permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org at
permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> In pictures in this page: http://www.seedballs.com/hazelip.html there are
> many
> raised beds
> shown laid out in parallel with paths. What sort of tillage methods did she
> use and did she do
> this work herself?

Folks...

Emilia used a big 5 hp? rototiller to loosen up the topsoil over a broad
area, then the soil was mounded up into curved beds. They did that by hand.
This gave the beds a "double dig " layer of topsoil. Then the subsoil-level
pathways were filled in with woodchips, as I remember.

I think they had a bit of a problem with water accumulation in the paths at
first, but they solved that later with some diversion swales.

I'll have to find that video we made of her slide show... I can't remember
all the details.

I used a very similar system myself in the early 80's... Also inspired by
Fukayoka. It's incredible to see the crumb structure develop in the soil
over the years. It's like a rich German Chocolate cake! You can dig out
a chunk of soil with your fingers and break it open like a piece of bread.
The scent of living humus in heady stuff.

-- Will Carey, Director
Center for Urban & Rural Ecology
32861 Lake Creek Drive
Halsey, OR 97348
cure@rtinet.com
541.369.2936

  • [permaculture] Re: Hazelip's tillage method, Will Carey, 09/20/2004