permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Getting rid of HUGE poison ivy vines

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "robscott@freeshell.org" <robscott@freeshell.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Getting rid of HUGE poison ivy vines
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:30:57 +0000 (UTC)

Hey Lee,

1" diameter poison ivy vines grow here in Illinois too, I'vy even got some with 2" diameter vines. They grow with Black Walnut, Hackberry, Missouri Gooseberry (extra thorny) -- I thought of declaring a "hazard guild" -- now here's how I've killed the Poison I've:

chopped the vines at the ground, or within 5 feet from the ground using big loppers. Wait. Within a year, there are no leaves, and enough of the suckers have come off the tree for there to be dead-woody vines hanging in the wind. You can pull them down, possibly with slight damage to the tree, or some residual oils to give you a poison ivy rash. I'm paranoid so I just leave them another year and let them fall off.

On the ground resprouts, you can let goats/chickens eat small quantities of Poison Ivy. If its deep shade it won't resprout very vigorously, at least not if you're in Illinois.

Rob Scott
Urbana Permaculture Project

I'm trying to clean up a neglected area behind my property, where there
are a lot of pine trees and I'm planning to plant some useful stuff
around them. However, right now they are overgrown with a mixture of
English ivy and poison ivy. This is in Georgia, and some of the poison
ivy vines can get HUGE... there are a couple of vines growing up the
trees that are more than an inch in diameter!

  • [permaculture] Re: Getting rid of HUGE poison ivy vines, robscott@freeshell.org, 09/19/2004