permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Black plastic nightmare!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "C. Suzanne Myers" <solarsonicdove@yahoo.com>
  • To: genest@pivot.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Black plastic nightmare!
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:30:42 -0700 (PDT)

The look is definitely the issue, the nightmare is labor and the mass of
square footage we have to deal with in the hot blazing sun.
I'm researching the math on how many square feet exactly, the owner has that
written down somewhere and I've asked him for it. I do not know how old the
plastic is, these folks are the new owners as of March we don't have that
info. I can also research that with the other locals or people who have been
here longer than the 5 years I have. I do not remember the plastic being
installed. The area is so large that the condition and depth of the plastic
varies greatly. Our prevailing winds come mostly from a Southwesterly
direction. They are the primary erosive factor in our landscape and they blow
from May thru the beginning of June. They deposit a lot of debris around
various obstructions and as you can probably guess we have a very unevenly
distributed layering of plastic, soil, and 2 to 3 to 4 inches of bark
depending on the area in question. Some areas have many weeds growing, and in
these areas like I mentioned earlier, the plastic could be much deeper or
breaking down more. These
areas could be the place to do the island plantings and work our way outward
to make the pine bark spaces smaller in increments. Good call. Thanks Claude
for the ideas.

"genest@pivot.net" <genest@pivot.net> wrote:
How big an area does the plastic cover ?

What kind of shape is it in ? ( how old ?)

What exactly is the "nightmare" ? The tumbleweeds ? lack of grass?
The "look " ?
Depending on all this, I'm thinking, why not work with what you've got and
use the plastic as a mulch ? I.e poke holes in it to plant your plants and
then mulch it over with something "aesthetic" ( bark, chips, leaves, hay,
straw, rocks) then gradually keep planting it out over a few years ....
There are obvious disadvantages to the plastic ( infiltration of moisture
comes to mind but micro -irrigation could solve that) but there is the
advantage of weed suppression as your plants establish.... So when they go
to seed, just remove an area of plastic around the plant and let those
seeds fall on what will be a perfect seedbed.... In other words, wherever
the ground has been solarized/mulched by the plastic, you have a perfect
seeding opportunity....

Claude