permaculture - [permaculture] permaculture ecovillages

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: hwaldock@yahoo.ca, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [permaculture] permaculture ecovillages
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 22:36:01 -0500

Hi Harold,

Well this summer has been cool and temperate in northeast Missouri
(zone 5a). I'm currently involved with a small group of people
starting a 'yet unnamed' land trust that promotes a diversity of
approaches to sustainability including permaculture. We are right
next door to Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage <http://dancingrabbit.org/>,
Sandhill Farm <http://sandhillfarm.org/>, and about 2 1/2 hours from
Fairfield, Iowa, home of some great permaculture folks.

Harold Waldock writes:

> Key to Permaculture in Cool Temperate Zone is adequate housing - Bill
> Mollison in the Global Gardener Video said that Temperate Zone Permaculture
> is 50% about housing. Early Permaculture innovators gave us straw bale and
> cob natural housing techniques.
>
> Access to land is difficult these days, but it is made easier if one gets
> others to join into a team. This project, however, is transitional as few
> people know about Permaculture.

Not here. Land is very inexpensive (less than $1k/acre in larger
pieces), rolling, and not very fertile, but there are no building
codes and no restrictive zoning. Implementation of the physical
elements of permaculture will probably be less challenging than the
social ones as this is a poor and very rural area (there are no
stoplights in Scotland county). Having two other communties within
walking distance will certainly make this easier.

> What other Ecovillage projects do you know have significant permaculture
> elements? I'd like to see more comment on this list.

Please contact me directly if you would like more information.
Although not very permaculture focussed Dancing Rabbit
<http://dancingrabbit.org/> is an interesting project worth checking
out.

--
Chad Knepp
python -c 'import base64;print base64.decodestring("cHlnQGdhbGF0ZWEub3Jn")'