permaculture - [permaculture] re:permaculture and spirituality

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "D.A. Riley" <permascape@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] re:permaculture and spirituality
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:13:42 -0700 (PDT)

My two senses worth. Not an attempt to define, but contribute, to the
discussion of spirituality and permies....

It is inspiring when seeing students of permaculture connect the web of life
to ourselves, observing nature's ways, the function of designing a system to
support an ecology; giving back to others and the Earth in an ethical
manner...

The thoughts and behaviour that come from understanding this, ever-growing,
concept of Permaculture can, for many, cast an image of spiritual connection
to the greater world.

"Spiritual" is another ever-growing concept. It's very definition is ripe
with a loving and dominating history. Very personal in it's make-up, spirit
takes the form of our individual/collective beliefs, according to the
particular social reality in which we are exposed during development.

I believe Bill's own spirit is in his writings, teachings and life work. The
man has done much to better the world, from his heart. He took a lifetime to
develop his views and his belief, as we each do.

My understanding of what he is saying about permaculture and spirituality
mixing together, reflects this: spiritual belief takes a lifetime to create,
and is individual in nature. To incorporate a specific belief into a design
system would isolate many who will benefit from Permaculture. Such as; those
who've experienced a history of oppressive "spiritual" movements dominating
their villages, towns, country. Or, the devout monotheist...

I like what Rain says about creating diversity in Permaculture teaching to
include everyone: New Age, Taoist, Hindu, Muslim, Jain, Shinto, Christian,
Zoroastrian, Sikh, Jewish, Confucian, Buddhist, Tribal, Interfaith, Utopian,
Subgenious, meditation-based, Yogic, Santeria, Evangelical and a great deal
more.

Cheers to diversity,

DA

3. permaculture and spirituality (Rain Tenaqiya)