permaculture - [permaculture] permaculture and spirituality

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] permaculture and spirituality
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 15:43:15 -0700 (PDT)

Despite Bill Mollison's railing against Californian New Age influences on the
permaculture movement (which is a movement and not a text-based dogma), Bill
himself openly admits that his permaculture ideas are based partly on Taoism
and other spiritual traditions. On page 99 of the Designer's Manual (4.23
The Mnemonics of Meaning), he even devotes some time to a Tantric Buddhist
chant (and even connects it to his own name, which will no doubt result in
some personality cult someday, probably in California). While I loathe New
Age spirituality (mainly for its continuation of the patriarchal/otherwordly
paradigm), each community needs to adapt permaculture to its own situation to
make it take root. If a permaculture teacher is afraid that a specific
manifestation of permaculture is excluding people, than that person should
come up with a different version. We should not pretend that a permanent
culture will not include spirituality, as history shows that we are spiritual
beings. We
just need to create diverse permacultures so that everyone can be included.

Rain