permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Solar Electric Confusion

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Neeley <dbneeley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: jeff <jko@bsn1.net>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Solar Electric Confusion
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 16:22:31 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff,

As usual, there are many more factors than you seem to
think surrounding the entire energy issue.

New solar electric technologies are constantly being
developed, and the payback period for areas in which solar
energy is favorable for this kind of generation continues
to decline.

To argue that the transportation for workers to travel to
the factories that make the panels should be in the
equation, I think, is just a bit "over the top."

In addition, there are new initiatives of all sorts. For
example, what about the world's tallest tower being planned
in Australia for producing wind energy from sunlight?
http://www.enviromission.com.au/index1.htm

This proposed generator would be in the 200 Megawatt range,
and enable production of some crops under the acres of
glass.

While I agree that much more needs to be done regarding
biomass use, in the end each location where power is needed
will have its own best and highest method.

Just like a garden or a house, it should suit the location.

It seems to me also that the best of all possible methods
is to reduce our need for massive amounts of power to begin
with, making the entire matter one of considerably smaller
scale.

David