permaculture - [permaculture] The Permaforest Trust May Update

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "tim winton" <winton@nor.com.au>
  • To: "pc usa list" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, "pc oceania list" <permaculture-oceania@lists.cat.org.au>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [permaculture] The Permaforest Trust May Update
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 11:08:21 +1000

The Permaforest Trust May Update. Please forward to lists and interested
folks

Management Position Filled
We are happy to announce that the search for a manager is over. Thank you to
all who forwarded our request for expressions of interest in the position.
We had many very good applicants- thank you too to all those folks who
applied. Brett Connable will be joining us as our new manager. Brett brings
with him a wealth of experience from his days as one of the founding members
of Anahata Retreat Center
(http://www.anahata-retreat.org.nz/pages/frames/first-frame.htm) in Golden
Bay, New Zealand where he lived and worked for six years with his partner,
artist Leone Perkins Connable. Leone and Brett are the creators of Inspired
Eye Art Company (http://www.inspiredeye.com.au/index.htm). Click the link to
check out a great site and to see some of Leone's work.

Brett is joining us at an exciting time in the life of the Trust as we
prepare to commence our Accredited Pemaculture Training TM internship
program. We will be announcing dates and details in another update to follow
shortly.

Weekend Getaways
Our next Weekend Getaway is 21 - 23 May. We invite you to come and join us
for a weekend of organic gardening, farm fresh food, good folks and great
fun. It's a great way to get a taste of life at the Trust, put your hands in
the earth and have a good time in a beautiful location. Everyone is
welcome - activities suit all levels of skill and experience. We can tailor
the weekends to suit your interests, so if you want to learn about anything
about what we do here, come along! Bring your friends. Arrive on Friday
night to join us for dinner and stay for as much of the weekend as you like.
Accommodation is in the Zen House; cost is $15 per day (including food and
accommodation). Contact us to book at info@permaforesttrust.org.au

Retreat Venue
Remember our unique retreat venue is available to hire for your next
workshop, course or conference. Hire fee includes up to 30 beds in
comfortable, passive solar accommodation (more capacity if camping); large
light filled studio; organic catering; separate common facility with dining,
living and office space.

Seventeen guests came down for Guy Bennett's Qi Gong workshop at the end of
April. The weather was spectacular, and they were able to make use of the
nearby World Heritage Rainforest of the Border Ranges to go for walks, as
well as the beautiful swimming hole on Hanging Rock Creek. By popular
request from the participants we've included below the recipe for Maple
Pecan Biscotti (adapted from one of the Moosewood Cookbooks).

Growing in the garden
Our last Weekend Getaway saw more work in the veggie garden.it was great to
be joined by such enthusiastic guests. The existing garden beds are all
full once more, and we have been able to start expanding into the new beds
(mmm.galangal). We are very happy the lettuce is back - bring on the huge
green salads! Recent plantings include more tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, as
well as lots of other greens. We've had the first avocados and mandarins
off the trees, and we are looking forward to a bumper crop of lemons.

Looking forward to seeing you soon
Jodi and the Permaforest Gang
(Nicole+Tim+Josh+Brett+Leone)

The Permaforest Trust
Lot 3 Hidden Valley Rd
Barkers Vale NSW
Australia 2474
www.permaforesttrust.org.au

info@permaforesttrust.org.au

(If you would like to unsubscribe to this list please send us an email with
the word "unsubscribe" in the subject heading.)

Maple Pecan Biscotti

1 3/4 cups organic spelt flour
½ cup organic polenta
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 eggs
½ cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 180oC. Prepare a baking sheet with a very light coating
of oil.

In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, polenta, baking powder, and
salt. Lightly beat the eggs and add them to the flour mixture. Stir in the
maple syrup, vanilla, and pecans, mixing just until the dough is smooth.

Using a rubber spatula and floured hands, scoop half of the dough out of the
bowl and onto one half of the baking sheet. Shape the dough into a log
about 2cm high and 15 cm wide. Make a second log on the other half of the
baking tray with the remaining dough. Space the logs at least 10 cm apart.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top of each biscotti log is firm.
Remove them with a long spatula to a wire rack and cool for 10 to 15
minutes. Cut each log on a severe diagonal into 1 cm thick slices and place
them, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Reduce the oven temperature to
160oC and bake for 15 minutes.

Hot from the oven, the biscotti might be slightly soft in the centre, but
they will harden as they cool. Allow them to cool completely. Stored in a
tin or other tightly closed container, they will keep for at least a couple
of weeks.

  • [permaculture] The Permaforest Trust May Update, tim winton, 05/05/2004