permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Bubble diagrams

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Graham Burnett" <grahamburnett@blueyonder.co.uk>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Bubble diagrams
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:23:50 -0000

The random assembly method is , as I understand it, just that,
representations of the elements (eg, chickens, compost heap, house, pond,
apple tree,veggie bed, etc) are all laid out, perhaps on pieces of card,
then put together completely at random. The idea being to break out of
traditional 'linear' patterns of thinking and throw up new creative ideas.
Many are of course daft ideas, ie, 'put your compost heap in the pond', but
sometimes ideas that might otherwise not have been thought of get thrown up,
eg, 'put your chickens in the pond'- looks silly at first, but, hey, if you
have fox predation problems, why not float the chicken house on a raft??? Or
'put your compost heap in the house'- again, looks silly, but might just
give somebody the idea of putting a worm bin for food scraps in the
kitchen...

I think permaculture designers should always consider using a combination of
design methodologies to mix up left and right brain thinking- random
assemblies strikes me as a 'right brain' tool (very intuitive, creative),
wheras the 'bubble diagram' thing seems more like a 'left brain' thing
(ordered and logical)...

Cheers Graham