permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Acid rains & organic crops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kelly Finigan" <kfinigan@spots.ca>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Acid rains & organic crops
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:09:12 -0700

Antonio:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:07:34 +0100, Antonio Scotti wrote
> Hi all,
> Do acid rains have any measurable, negative effect on organic crops,
> in term of the health of people eating those crops?

I can't think of any health problems, especially if the crops are washed.
THere have been studies about concerns over lead contamination from
gasoline...most often the lead is easily washed off (and in many places
leaded gasoline is not available now). More likely to have problems from too
much fertiliser (e.g. excess nitrate accumulation in leafy greens).

Put it another
> way are organic, certified crops tested also for their content in
> toxic materials coming from the sky?

No. Certification bodies look at the grower's methods and techniques. I've
never seen a certifying body test crop tissue samples.

Irrigation water may be tested and test results reviewed by the certifying
agency. The inspectors I've dealt with have been primarily concerned about
preventing salt buildup problems from irrigation water.

Fields can also be certified organic even if they grow in polluted airsheds,
for example, downwind of coal or nuclear electricity plants or beside VERY
busy highways.

ciao,
Kelly

--
Kelly Finigan, M.Sc. P.Eng. Permaculture Designer
~ Sustainability consultant & ecological designer ~

744 - 4 Street NW
Calgary, Alberta T2N 1P2
phone 1-403-283-7270