permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Greenhouse Design

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude William Genest <genest@pivot.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Greenhouse Design
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:37:33 -0500

Paul wrote:
if you are
going to concentrate the light to get it through the roof, then you are going
to be faced with having to evenly disperse the light inside the structure
again for optimal plant growth. I'd love to know how they accomplish that.

Claude replies:
I don't know either, but I did see a glazing product at the Greenbuild Expo I attended that did a great job of dispersing light.... Can't think of the name off hand and it was super expensive...

I've been in passive solar greenhouses with slanted sunwards glazing and
insulated roofs and polewards walls. These are fine for home production, but

Yes, I was thinking small scale.... I understand that these new solar tubes work quite well at dispersing light but have not actually seen them in operation.... They are affordable....

Excessive humidity leads to disease
problems such as mildews and fungi.

John Cruikshank's greenhouse design in which warm air is circulated through the soil is quite ingenious... His greenhouse is built up against a straw bale wall - pretty strong evidence that it's working....this I have seen in operation and was amazed...

Also, I am also amazed that while there are little hobby greenhouses and big commercial versions, there are no attached-to-the-home functional sustainable greenhouses.... a real niche here ! especially since another way to "control" humidity is to funnel it into our winter-dried homes...

Claude