permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Greenhouse design for southern climates

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: CAVM@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Greenhouse design for southern climates
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:34:44 EST

Arlene,

For your brief heating needs a conventional greenhouses of all glass or plastic can be heated by a variety of means including natural gas and propane but also by used motor oil furnaces and even biomass combustion.  Used motor oil has about 200,000 BTU per gallon.  Propane has about 85,000 BTU per gallon for a greater cost than used motor oil.  Of course, even solar heating is an option.

As you say, in your area though the major concern is keeping the greenhouse from overheating in the summer.  While the Sunny John system of subsoil air flows to keep temperatures down has many applications it is not suitable in all cases.  In some situations the cooling of the water bath in a hydroponics greenhouse may be sufficient with adequate ventilation.  Lettuce for example responds well to cooling water to fight pythium root rot.

The major opportunity for your situation though is to screen out the infrared rays of the sun yet letting in the white light.  This can be done with a hologram on the glass of the greenhouse.  Holograms are very adaptable and very inexpensive.  The light of the sun needed for the plants will enter but the heat producing IR will not.

In fact, you could build your greenhouse from a non-typical design and use an insulated structure which has only relatively little open area for the sun to enter.  Solar collectors can gather the needed level of light and project it into the windows.  A hologram will filter out the IR and distribute the light to the plants.  In this way you could even convert an existing solid wall building into a greenhouse which would be very economical to heat and cool.

This design has proven as good and even better than traditional greenhouses in tests done at the Univ. of Pennsylvania.

Many things can be done.

Neal Van Milligen
Kentucky Enrichment Inc.