permaculture - [permaculture] Urine on the roof / rice hulls

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "WWOOF Taiwan" <wwooftaiwan@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Urine on the roof / rice hulls
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 03:00:19 +0000

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience using (lots of) human urine in a garden setting? In particular, I am trying to find ways to use the urine from many visitors to a large rooftop garden. It is my understanding that the composting toilet that we will use up on the rooftop will have some urine leachate as well as some urine that will be kept separate from the feces. Any ideas for a greywater system or will urine (or urine leachate that has passed through feces) be too concentrated for that?

And another separate question along similar lines: does anyone have experience using rice hulls in a simple bucket-toilet humanure system (ala Joseph Jenkins)? The rice hulls in a compost pile two years old have not decomposed in the least (and that's after soaking in a bucket of urine and feces for a week or so). I think i'll stick with sawdust, but its harder to find in Taiwan.

Peter

I used to eat White Oak acorns when i was a kid and remember them tasting quite good and many times better than Red Oak or other oak species in our neighborhood in southern Wisconsin.

WWOOFTaiwan@hotmail.com