permaculture - Re: [permaculture] worm troubles

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] worm troubles
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:59:29 EST

In a message dated 12/19/2003 3:09:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, clearned@bminet.com writes:
However all toilets need to be vented as the air is displaced when the waste enters the filter basin. Venting indoors requires me to run a vent stack to the sky. So here lies my problem 0 degree temperatures dropping down ontop of the worms.

Dear Chuck--

This may be simplistic, but how about putting a hinged pot-lid on your vent stack? You may have to attach a penny or two as a counterweight, but if you get the lid to lift open with a slight positive pressure from below, it should work just fine-- keeping normally in the closed position. This is how they solve the problem with furnace vents.

Mike Elvin