permaculture - Re: [permaculture] acorns

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kathy Carter-White <kathycarterwhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] acorns
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 03:08:18 -0600

Hi Jamie- I took a Cherokee wild cooking class and one of the dishes was acorn bread... actually more like the texture of corn mush. According to Indian Herbology of North America, acorns can be used for soup, bread and pudding. I can't find my recipe book right now, but I'll check for recipes. Indian Herbology says these were gathered sometimes, ie 500 lbs per person and stockpiled for winter cooking, so I'd assume they were gathered in the fall... and I'm guessing it was after first frost just because most things for winter were gathered after first frost (grapes, persimmons, hickory nuts). Were the White Oak better? Above source says acorns have the property of neutralizing poison... Just guessing that the high tannin content does the ph thing. I recall you roast them before grinding, and pour boiling water over them to take away the bitter... k