permaculture - Re: [permaculture] dehulling/dehusking oats

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "Wordgarden" <wordgarden@iinet.net.au>, "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] dehulling/dehusking oats
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:18:24 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

You could grow hulless oats. Bountiful gardens sells a hulless variety
(online: bountifulgardens.org), and also hulless barley. I've grown small
amounts of both in an urban garden, just because I wanted to try them, and
they are in fact hulless. There's still a light chaff that needs separating,
as I recall, but no hull.

Barley has got to be one of the most gorgeous grain plants I've ever seen -
especially sparkling with dew.

> Does anyone have any experience or ideas about how to dehull oats?
>
> I'm thinking of growing some (I like to eat them and they grow well around
> here) but I'm not sure how to remove the husks. ....

- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration
john@eco-living.net
http://eco-living.net

  • Re: [permaculture] dehulling/dehusking oats, John Schinnerer, 12/01/2003