permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Rain water safe to drink in urban areas?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Rain water safe to drink in urban areas?
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:23:45 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

If "appropriate technology" means "technology we can appropriate" for
ourselves, I'll mention one more time...

The simplest, most universal "first flush" diverter system is shown in the
Texas guide. There's no need for any manufactured products beyond pipes and
fittings from a hardware store, and definitely no need for any of the Rube
Goldberg contraptions in the Designer's Manual or elsewhere. KISP! ('People'
instead of 'Stupid')

They show a particular application, but from a schematic perspective there are
countless ways to configure it and it can be set up to divert however much one
wants of initial catch-water from getting to the potable storage while still
capturing it for non-potable use.

BTW the docs in the conference link posted recently tend to converge on
diverting the first .5 - 2.5 mm of rainfall as "roof wash water." Depending
on context, of course... ;-)

> Try "Rural Diverters" on
> http://www.theraincatchers.com.au/products.asp?cat=3

> There are simple, cheap and commercially available rain diverters such as
> this one:
> http://www.theraincatchers.com.au/products.asp?cat=5
> that divert the first "flush" of rainfall off the roof .....Then, that
> debris-free water can be filtered through a low-cost sand/charcoal filter,
> and finally through a bacterial filter if desired...

- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration
john@eco-living.net