permaculture - [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 10, Issue 6

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 10, Issue 6
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 01:43:47 +0000

From: Charles Knoles <charles@growfood.org>
Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 10, Issue 5

I have to echo mIEKAL aND's take on Sea buckthorns. I've planted them here in Iowa (zone 5, heavy clay soil) and they grow but don't produce fruit. All the local fruit freaks have sworn off them including Tom Wahl who says he will never plant one again.

Looking at their native range though I would guess that this is due to the heavy clay soil rather than the cold.

Not sure if its the heavy clay, we have a very nice very producting
couple of trees on our Blagdon site which has one of the heviest clay
soils about and very wet as well, neutral pH. It is a bit milder than yours prob zone 7. Actually our second best growing tree after the alders.

Rich

--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719