permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [organic-gardening] Privatizing water in Bolivia by US corporations]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [organic-gardening] Privatizing water in Bolivia by US corporations]
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 10:42:06 -0800

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [organic-gardening] Privatizing water in Bolivia by US
corporations
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:13:47 -0800
From: Margaret <booldawgs@cavenet.com>
To: organic gardening <organic-gardening@lists.ibiblio.org>

I am a lurker on this list but I cannot imagine a subject of more concern
to a gardener than water. Everyone should do some research on what is
happening concerning privatization of water in this country. Dependence on
oil is nothing compared to dependence on water.

The Owens Valley in Eastern California was a beautiful green area with
farms and orchards before the water rights were bought and the water was
sent east to turn the LA desert into a city. I believe that was done by
Mulholland (sp?), one of the early developers of Los Angeles. Very
interesting story.

A Google search for "T. Boone Pickens" the notorious corporate raider of
the 1980s will give you an idea of how water may be bought and sold in our
near future.Texas newspapers and farm and ranch magazines have numerous
articles concerning the aquifers there.

I haven't read the letter concerning Bolivia but Mesa Oil and Mesa Water
should be watched by all of us. My husband was with a company that was
almost bankrupted by Pickens in the 80s.
Margaret- back to lurking