permaculture - [permaculture] Leadership through decentralized online social networks

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Joao Paglione" <joao@bambubrasileiro.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Leadership through decentralized online social networks
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:21:39 -0500

>leadership is nothing coming from "without", it is "us" - some of us, who
>have the drive and ability to take it on. we as a group motivate ourselves,
>organize ourselves, articulate the latent yearnings, stand up und face
>"outside" difficulties, fight them if needed, and later devide the gains
>between ourselves - but that doesn't imply that every given individual is
>doing this. if it is just a few % with the rest giving a bit active but
>mostly passive support, this is leadership in my terminology.

Since 2000, the Yahoo Group "Bambu-Brasil" has amassed over 340 members and
exchange over 6000 messages. Without the internet and emails, we would have
not been able to organize various institutions and connect
researchers/academics/artisans/architects/businessman who work with bamboo
together.

Directly or indirectly, we were able to establish a Bamboo Instituto in
northern Brazil close to the world's largest bamboo paper making facility -
Itapagé. We have also been able to launch www.bambubrasil.org as a portal
for bamboo development in my country and a starting point for BBF - Bamboo
Brazil Foundation.

Has anyone ever read THE TIPPING POINT?

Social phenomenons happen because the right MAVENS are there to make it
happen!

Cheers,

João Paglione
joao@bambubrasil.org

  • [permaculture] Leadership through decentralized online social networks, Joao Paglione, 10/28/2003