permaculture - [permaculture] PC in Eritrea

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "permaculture.biz" <darren@permaculture.biz>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, "permaculture-oceania" <permaculture-oceania@lists.cat.org.au>, <seedsofchange@yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [permaculture] PC in Eritrea
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:55:05 +1000

Hello People,

Following is a letter posted on the Permaculture Research Institute (PRI) Forum from a “Fidelis” which I have posted to solicit where possible a response. If you have a contribution then please reply either here or thru the PRI forum direct (http://forums.permaculture.org.au/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi)

“……Hi everyone!
I am currently working in
Eritrea, an arid country along the southern Red Sea coast with only 600mm annual rainfall. Northern parts are very dry and desertification is encroaching on the marginal lands very very fast. There are no perennial rivers or streams except for one shared with Ethiopia on the southern border.

The highlands are relatively OK with adequate grass for livestock grazing.

In most parts of the country, agriculture relies on rainfed irrigation, underground water level is quickly dwindling at alarming rates, drought is something normal now. The situation is really precarious.

It is with this picture that I am asking if there is anybody out there that can help in training our people (in Eritrea) in this important Permanent agriculture system that will help the land to be restored to its crop and grass yielding capacity that it used to have. I have contacted UNDP and am in the process to contact FAO in this country to get their support for this. I know this effort can go a long way to alleviating poverty and improve the environmental conditions.

Any help out there?

Fidelis………………”

Cheers,

Yours and Growing,

Darren J. Doherty

Applied Diploma of Permaculture Design, (Education, Site Design, System Establishment & Implementation) Permaculture Institute (1995)

Permaculture Design Certificate, Permaculture Institute (1993, 1995, 2001)

Whole Farm Planning Certificate (Train the Trainer), University of Melbourne (1995)

permaculture designer @ permaculture.biz

a. 103 Casey St, East Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 3550

p. 613 5444 1068

f. 613 5444 0621

e. darren@permaculture.biz

w. www.permaculture.biz

  • [permaculture] PC in Eritrea, permaculture.biz, 10/17/2003