permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in Greece

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: ERDA Institute <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in Greece
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:07:28 +1000

Assume one of the main pest problems would be coddling moth for apple &
pear. I visited some trial organic orchards at Lincholn Ag College in New
Zealand where they had 80% drop in coddling moth damage when they planted
lots of flowering plants to attract predatory wasps. The main plants were
umbellifers including parsnips, dill, fennel, carrot, widow's lace and
members of the aster family like daisies. They left the meadow grow tall on
a narrow strip along the tree row-line and mowed the inter-row spacings.
This was supported by mixed species hedgerow/windbreak plantings with bird
attracting shrubs and trees.
This could be further enhanced by running poultry during the fruiting
season, especially chickens under the trees to take care of fallen and
damaged fruits - they love eating the grubs.
The main problem being surrounded by spray-dependent neighbours is loss of
natural predators - you might need to search for insectiaries to
re-introduce these critters.
The other aspect is revitalising a natural healthy soil ecosystem which can
take 3-5 years.
Don't expect to turn things around in one season - it takes time,
persistence, lots of observation and strategic thinking.
All the best
Robyn