permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Vermiculite

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bear K <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Vermiculite
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:36:36 -0000

Hi Robert,

Vermiculite is a mineral that is expanded under a good deal of heat. The
mineral needs to be mined. A google search says that 80% of the world supply
comes from South Africa, from open pit mines, and that the EPA in 2000
released a warning about one vermiculite containing product saying it should
be handled with the same protocol as asbestos ("EPA report was prelimary").

So the embodied energy is going to be pretty high, and may not be that
healthy so you without a good mask. Perhaps if used for special seedling
mix, or somewhere where weight was an issue. But I'd source out some nice
fluffy organic matter. Trees that rot as whole logs often make some really
nice airy chunks to add to the soil.

Cheers,
BK

BTW-Where's OKC?

> How do folks feel about vermiculite as a soil amendment in
> permaculture gardens? It's not the type of thing you'd add every year,
> but once when preparing soil to get something started.
>
> Robert Waldrop, okc

  • [permaculture] Re: Vermiculite, Bear K, 08/10/2003