permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Frankentrees Are Spreading Across the U.S.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Frankentrees Are Spreading Across the U.S.
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 01:10:40 -0700

mIEKAL aND wrote:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/ge/080103_frankentrees.cfm

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: GM Trees
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:46:53 -0400
From: joe cummins <jcummins@UWO.CA>

Hi John and all,
I understand that the thing that makes trees stand tall is cellulose and
lignin acts something like the glue that holds the fibers of cellulose
together. Low lignin trees are much less costly to process into fiber to
make paper and other stuff such as fiberboard. However, lignin provides
protection from fungi, insects and bacterial diseases, the low lignin
trees will need intensive chemical support to kill pests.
Low lignin fodder is also being promoted because it is more digestible
than natural fodder. Like the trees low lignin fodder is enjoyed by cows
but the plants require a lot of chemical pesticide to survive.
I think low lignin produces forests and pastures that the chemical
industry will love, but humans may need some genetic engineering to
survive the pesticides on the paper and in the cows fed treated fodder.
Sincerely, Joe Cummins

--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net