permaculture - [permaculture] Pitcairn Colonialism

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gaden@ziplip.com" <Gaden@ziplip.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Pitcairn Colonialism
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:21:57 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Rick Valley - "I myself am curious about how such a loaded word as
"colonialism" came to be tossed into the discussion of Pitcairn since the
island has one of the most unique histories around."

Gee, I'm glad you said that Rick. That had me scratching my head as well. I
hadn't had the time to go off and do my own research on the island's history.
So I kept my mouth shut. But my recollection was that the 40 - 50 island
members were mostly colonial descendants (mutineers and partners) themselves.
(and a far portion of them currently in NZ)

I was thinking that I had mistaken them with another island. I don't mind a
spot of colonial-bashing but it didn't seem applicable in this situation.

Gaiden.