permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Iraq report -NGO/ media

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Iraq report -NGO/ media
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:57:18 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

Great article. Good to read about this kind of work being done and the
designers getting asked by UN heavies, military, etc. to do more.

Too bad this sort of thing doesn't make the 6 o'clock network news, eh?

The best part IMO is that he shows, from on-the-ground experience, how
meeting immediate/crisis needs *can* (could have been, in this case) be
integrated with implementing longer-term elements (here, for example,
bulldozing those flood-ending water-infiltrating swales the first time
around, had people with the basic design skills been on the job).

Scott Vlaun said:
> Darren and Russ
>
> Thought you might be interested in this article by Andrew Jones from
> our last Seeds of Change eNewsletter. He discusses his Pc work with
> Geoff Lawton in a refugee camp in Macedonia. Pretty fascinating whatt
> they could accomplish in a short time. I hear that Andrew is in Iraq
> now as well.
>
> http://www.seedsofchange.com/enewsletter/issue_34/permaculture.asp

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -