permaculture - [permaculture] Sacramento Protests

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Anne Schwarz" <thegrayhat@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Sacramento Protests
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:48:38 +0000

Well, 100 officers seems overkill for 14 people, but considering what they had to deal with all the rest of the day, I suppose they were suspecting the worst. (Sac police had to deal with a small faction of anarcists throwing mildly acidic concoctions at them, not to mention the other protesters of the day). While I support the protest against certain aspects of the agricultural conference, I'm still mystified at certain people. I mean, come on, a topless woman and a naked man -- smeared with mud and seeds -- romping through the downtown streets as representatives of Mother Earth... Do they WANT people to think they're crazy idiots? Half the effort put into conservation is ruined by people like that.

As for the garden, "officials said soil tests showed elevated levels of lead, DDT and cancer-causing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. CADA officials say they may have to scrape the top foot of soil from the garden to clean it." I suppose that if they're actually putting out the effort to scrape that much dirt off the ground, they are probably not lying, however, who knows. If you want to see the story about the garden as it appeared in the Sacramento Bee, go to:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/business/agriculture/story/6912737p-7862176c.html
if you want to see the article about the protests:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/business/agriculture/story/6912642p-7862172c.html

I hope everybody from the garden is ok.
Anne