permaculture - Re: [permaculture] gettin' the lead out

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] gettin' the lead out
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:52:05 EDT

In a message dated 6/14/2003 1:05:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, bamboogrove@cmug.com writes:
Robyn; My posting was based on "the "common comment" aspect, which comment
has no relevance anywhere I know of; it's not that the ink was lead *based*
(as white ink may have been then) but that *type* was made of lead once upon
a time. But Scott Pittman made the point that soy based, carbon pigmented
ink is certainly containing GMO's! So I can't use my organic gardening
newsletter to mulch my organic garden! Life is too funny.

-Rick

Rick--

It's possible we can go too far with the concept of purity. Remember that your garden can't use our atmosphere to respire either, without polluting itself with our contaminated air. And every time it rains, it rains bioavailable mercury from the power plant emissions upwind from your garden. Even if you're on the West Coast it just means you're getting it from China, Korea and Japan. In the real world, I suggest we're just going to have to do the best we can.

I would also think that mulching your newspaper is a better route to travel than humping bales of old news to the recycling bin. Half the time the spot market for old newspaper is so low they just landfill it rather than sell it.

The planet is only going to be improved by degrees. You hope to develop a method that will leave your soil, your water table and your surroundings in at least as good a shape as they were in before you came along to use them. Better shape is even better. But before there was man, there were toxic emissions. Just look at an assay of the crap volcanos spew out by the cubic mile in a really strong blow. Out of all the elements in existence, only twenty or thirty are really useful for organic life. The rest, we live with by being adaptible creatures.

Mike Elvin