permaculture - [permaculture] guts to gas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Anne Schwarz" <thegrayhat@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] guts to gas
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:02:36 +0000

Claude wrote:
Ahhhh. Good old technology. Always sounds so perfect when it first comes
out. I remember reading a quote from an anti-incinerator activist who said :
" If incineration is the answer, we're asking the wrong queston"...
What becomes of all those pulverized specks of toxins that are created in
the burning of waste ? I would have the same question for this new
technology ( as admittedly exciting as it sounds)....

Well, according to the article (http://www.discover.com/may_03/featoil.html) they don't burn anything, it's more akin to boiling. This is what makes it possible to break down PVC plastics and other such materials. As to the energy it takes, to quote the article "Thermal depolymerization, Appel says, has proved to be 85 percent energy efficient for complex feedstocks, such as turkey offal: "That means for every 100 Btus in the feedstock, we use only 15 Btus to run the process." He contends the efficiency is even better for relatively dry raw materials, such as plastics."

Right on about traffic jams however. Probably no getting rid of that until we create instant teleportation. :-)

Anne