permaculture - [permaculture] Back in N. America...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Back in N. America...
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 21:51:22 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha all,

I'm back in North America for a while, Seattle to be precise.

Hawai'i was mostly good...the very brief report is:

Had fun doing my 'reflective designing' piece with Toby and Jude's PDC
group at La'akea in February (thanks again for the opportunity!).

No discernible degradation of my ferrocement garage structure. This
includes some exposed wire mesh at upper and lower wall edges that is not
covered by cement. My "chicken wire" is doing fine. It is not exposed to
direct moisture, to be sure - only to E. Hawai'i (windward = wet)
humidity.

Built a two-vault type composting toilet (the lower half, anyhow - the
folks there are building the upper part, I didn't have time to help with
that) of local lava rock and ferrocement at Malu 'Aina Center for
Nonviolent Education and Action (malu-aina.org). I'll have some
documentation up on my site eventually. It's roughly oval in shape, and
has been dubbed "The Oval Office" (where shiznit happens.... ;-)

Speaking of shiznit, the big fresh compost pile I left at my place, which
included considerable input from our 'humanure' style bucket toilet system
(using mac nut husk instead of sawdust), was thoroughly transformed into a
*very* nice pile of awesomely humusy compost.

Met Eli, saw his places - the here and now in Fern Acres and the soon to
be in the midst of Kapoho papaya-land with nice breeze and nice view (hi
Eli!).

More later, if I remember/as it occurs to me... :-)

cheers,
John S.

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -