permaculture - Re: [permaculture] purple hyacinth bean

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: robert waldrop <rmwj@soonernet.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] purple hyacinth bean
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 16:14:11 -0500

After reading your post, I did another search of the Plants for a Future
database, and this time found

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Lablab+purpureus

I had tried searching for "purple hyacinth bean" previously but it
brought up nothing under that term.

It says the seed is edible as long as it is thoroughly cooked, it
doesn't mention changing the water. The leaves and flowers are also
edible, the leaves can be dried for use later, and it has a number of
medicinal uses, among them "anticholesterolemic" which I couldn't find
in several online medical dictionaries I consulted, but I'm guessing it
helps lower your cholesterol?

Robert Waldrop, OKC
http://www.oklahomafood.org