permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A farm for a story.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A farm for a story.
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 18:02:46 -0700

At 07:56 PM 4/20/03 -0400, Keith Johnson wrote:
Want to win a farm in SC? Go to this link for details.

Hmmm...you give them $350 for the privledge of entering their contest, of which they're willing to donate the generous sum of $10 to charity. That's less than three percent. They anticipate raising $25,000 for charity, which according to my calculator would net them about $847,000 before expenses and paying off the mortgage - which, strangely enough, is a number they don't mention on their Website. For approximately 30 acres, that's about $28K/acre for a farm in South Carolina. For similarly-sited and improved places in rural California - i.e. not immediately in the path of urban sprawl - you'd pay maybe half that.

I think this sounds like a much better deal for them - if they can find a sufficient quantity of gullible people - than for all but one of the entrants.

There are days when I think about how much easier my life would be if I had scruples like that.

Heavy sigh,

Loren

Loren Davidson Earth steward, healer, singer/songwriter
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
Loren's album & music info: http://www.lorendavidson.com
"In gentleness there is great strength." - Sun Bear