permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Basketry and Nurse Plants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Basketry and Nurse Plants
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 11:37:26 -0600

Ute, you might think about Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) as a nurse plant, it has great fruit (highest in anti oxidants and high in vit. C), birds don't like the fruit so it doesn't have the rampancy of Elaeagnus, and it's nitrogen fixing. The fruit makes a very nutricious drink and good jams and jellies (high in pectin). It may be that Elaeagnus is not as rampant in Europe, I saw miles of hedgerows on a train trip across central Russia with no sign that it was taking over the surrounding landscape.

I am a wantabe basket maker, I collect them from around the world, and admire the multiple uses that different cultures have found for them and the different designs to accomplish different tasks. In the not too distant past there was a very strong basket making culture in the U.S. I still find apple picking baskets at flea markets. I also am interested in growing the different colored and textured willows for sale to the art basket and sculpture market. One of these days I will slow down enough to do basketry - I look at it as a form of meditation or a community building enterprise. While travelling with Bill Mollison in Thailand I visited a Thai village that had a platform built above the rice patties where 12 or 15 villagers gathered and prepared and wove the most exquisite bamboo baskets. There was a place for all ages from infants too the infirm on that platform. It was like an opium dream sitting on that platform listening to the quiet conversations and laughter and overlook the beauty of the patties greenly reflecting the clouds overhead.

Scott